Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Google raises the bar, again!

I love Google Maps (currently in beta).

I have been a long-time user of Yahoo! Maps and like it for their trademark minimal look without all the crap compared to other mapping sites. I also like their SmartView feature, where local businesses on the map are highlighted. But Google Maps won me over. It looks like they get their from NavTeq (same as Yahoo).

Things I like:

  • The maps look much clearer with all the roads and names marked clearly and pleasant looking.
  • CLick and drag in any direction. The usual navigation-by-arrow-buttons is still available.
  • Zooming of source and destination points in place. Love the bubbles and the dropshadow is cool.
  • Click on any step in the directions and that turn is zoomed and highlighted.
  • Bigger maps. Map fills the available space vertically.
  • One search field instead of many fields for different address parts.
  • Find local businesses or places using in or near modifiers.
  • Ingenious use of CSS, DHTML and XMLHttpRequest.
  • I am sure there are other that I missed out.

Things I don't like or things missing? Can't say I found anything yet. But it's too early.

Look out, Yahoo! You have work to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home